- FAS Departments: Fees are charged for non-academic functions, academic symposia, conferences, and any events that charge attendees. IMS also charges fees for special course meetings that are open to members of multiple courses, or are open to the public.
- Student Groups
- Individuals and Outside organizations
- Extension & Summer School Classes
- Other Harvard Schools
Who is not charged?
FAS Classes: Services and equipment offered by IMS are available without charge to exclusively support Faculty of Arts & Sciences courses and course-related activities that are restricted to members of one course.
Student Group Discount
Harvard College Official student groups (those listed with Harvard College's Student Life or with The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences) receive a 50% discount on equipment charges. Labor and materials cannot be discounted.
Harvard College student groups may also use the built-in multimedia equipment in Sever Hall in the first, second, and third floor classrooms (except room 113) free of charge under the below conditions:
- The event must be a meeting limited to Harvard University students, faculty, and staff. To discuss a rare exception, contact the Sever Hall Supervisor, Kris Kouyate, at 617-495-9470;
- The student group must complete the Service Request form at least three days prior to the event. For additional information, please contact the MTS Sever Office at 617-495-9470 or email@example.com. Students are strongly encouraged to receive instructions on the use of multimedia equipment;
- The student group must turn off all equipment at the end of their event. If equipment is left on, the group will be charged a rental fee;
- If the student group needs equipment that is not built-in, or a technician, regular student group fees will apply.
- The event must be funded by a Harvard source;
- Any damage, loss, or theft of the equipment will incur a cost. This includes the dismantling of equipment racks and cables.
There is a 4-hour minimum labor charge for all weekend events.
How charges are collected
- Harvard Departments: Should provide a 33-digit billing code when requesting services and will be charged after the work has been completed.
- Student Groups: Students may pay by 33-digit billing code, cash, or a check payable to "Harvard University." When renting equipment, payment is due in advance. When hiring technicians to staff an event, student groups must pay within two business days of receiving the invoice, unless otherwise specified. Student groups failing to pay fees on-time will forfeit the discount on equipment charges and may be refused service in the future.
- Individuals and Outside organizations: Must pay by check payable to "Harvard University" at time of services.
Events canceled with less than two full business days notice will be charged for labor. Please provide as much advance notice as possible.
Course lecture recording
Courses that wish to be recorded for the web will be asked to agree to our Service Level Agreement. NOTE: Recorded lectures are generally available for distribution online within three to five business days.
Copyright protection policies
We are unable to make duplicates of copyrighted audio, video, or multimedia materials without explicit written permission from the copyright owner. We can excerpt materials in accordance with Harvard Copyright Policies.