Hiring Technicians for Special Events
The most media intensive events require one of more technicians to stay and run the equipment. The cost of this service ranges widely based on the amount of labor required. Most events needing media support in Sanders Theater, Paine Hall, Sackler Lecture Hall, or Lowell Lecture Hall require a technician to stay for the event.
The largest expense for technician jobs is the labor. Labor rates are not discounted for students. Labor is billed based on the number of hours of the event, plus setup and breakdown time. In general events are bill one hour for setup and one hour for breakdown, but more complex events may require more time.
MTS will decide, based on the needs of an event, the number and type of technicians that are needed. All night and weekend events that require a Staff Tech are charged the Staff OT rate. All weekend events are charged an additional $50 weekend surcharge. Weekend and holiday events require a 4 hour minimum.
Since such a wide range of factors affect the cost of technician jobs, we recommend students not use this as a guide to estimate cost. Call us at 617-495-9460. We are happy to assist you in planning your event.
All technician jobs require at leaset two weeks notice to book.
|IMS Technician I||$27 / hour|
|IMS Technician II||$42 / hour|
|IMS Staff||$52 / hour|
|IMS Staff OT||$61 / hour|
|IMS Staff Holiday||$96 / hour|
|Weekend & Holiday Surcharge||$50|
- The number and types of technicians vary based on the location and needs of an event.
- Staff labor is billed at the "IMS Staff" rate Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- Staff labor is billed at the "IMS Staff OT" rate outside of normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM).
- Staff labor is billed at the "IMS Staff Holiday" rate on offical university holidays.
- There is a four hour minimum for staff labor after 8:00 PM, on weekends, and holidays.